Friday, September 16, 2005

Katrina The last two weeks have been the most awful and most surreal of my life. You've all seen the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina. Well, my home was one of the ones that was destroyed. It wasn't just my home. It was my friends' and family's homes, the school where I teach, the stores I shop in, the restaurants where we eat. The worst part is not being able to go home. We haven't even been able to go in yet to survey the damage. We know that the water got to within a foot of our ceiling. But I want to see it for myself. I have to. I need this closure so I can put all of this behind me and start over.
Will we go home? Of course. My family and I can't imagine living anywhere else. It's our home. Our roots are there. It's going to be a long rebuilding process though. More than likely we will not be able to start rebuilding our home until next summer. But you can bet that when it's all over, we will be stronger than ever.

No comments: