Tuesday, August 16, 2005

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Well, it is if you're not a kid. It's Back to School time! I still can't believe I'm beginning the ninth year of my teaching career. It's unbelievable! I had a busy summer, and I wasn't all that ready to get back to school. Now that I'm there, though, it's like I never left for the summer. My first two days have been great. I realize this may be the calm before the storm, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

I'm very lucky to teach in a great school. Our school gets a bad rap in the community. Many of our students do come from poor families and broken homes, but they're still kids. I love teaching them. Our faculty is so wonderful and supportive. I used to teach in a Catholic high school that prided themselves on being a "family." Yeah, right! The only way that school could have been a family is if it was a dysfunctional one. My current school truly is a family.

Today I received a wonderful compliment from a student. I began teaching 8th grade honors English this year. This group of students had the misfortune of going through about three teachers last year. One of the young ladies in that class came in my room at the end of the day to tell me that she was glad to be in my class. She said she was already learning. Her sweet comments totally made my day. It's kids like that who make my job so worthwhile.

I know it sounds cliched, but I want to make a difference in kids' lives. I know I can't reach every child, but if I can help just a few then I know I've done my job. I don't teach 7th and 8th grade; I don't teach reading and English. I teach kids.

No comments: