Sunday, July 24, 2005


All Hail the Queen!
OK, you may be wondering what I'm talking about. After all, this blog is titled "Confessions of a Wannabe Princess." Well, I'm referring to the title a group of students gave to me about five years ago. They crowned me "Queen of the Spastics." I hope I don't offend anyone with that, but I've always thought it was funny. Let me explain how I got to that point.

I have been clumsy since I could walk. My mom even asked the pediatrician if something was wrong with me. It's so bad that I have tripped over cracks in the tile. Many times I've just tripped over my own feet. One time when I was about 13 years old I opened my front door and fell out. These acts of clumsiness are not limited to the confines of my own home. I've had many mishaps in public. At one point three years ago my students wanted to buy me knee pads since I fell twice at school within a two month period. It's bad. Imagine me as a little kid learning to ride a bike. It wasn't pretty. Even though I'm in a mom's dance class, I have no rhythm. I can do our dances for the recital, but otherwise I stink at dancing. You'd think having athletic parents would help. Also, my mom and sister were both dancers. Guess I missed out on those genes.

Well, today the Queen of the Spastics struck again. I was in church by myself this morning after Mass gathering my things and picking up reserved signs off of the pews. I was walking up the main aisle juggling everything when I stepped out of my shoe. Yep, you guessed it. I went down on both knees. Once I got up and dusted myself off I had to laugh. What else could I do? I do have a lovely souvenir from this trip--a brushburn on my left knee.

I hoped I'd eventually grow out of being a klutz, but I guess it's not going to happen. I could try and take a positive approach to this whole thing. It makes me unique. It's part of who I am. No, as a kid I never aspired to grow up to be a klutz, but I did. And I have to live with it. I just have to be more careful, that's all. I may start wearing knee pads to church, though, just in case I have a repeat performance.

No comments: