Tuesday, July 26, 2005

That's What Friends Are For
All day I have been thinking about how blessed I am to have such wonderful friends. Nothing in particular happened to remind me of this, but every now and then I just think about it. I was thinking of writing today's post about what my friends mean to me, but I decided I should after an online conversation about being able to tell your girlfriends anything, even gross stuff. (Thanks, Lena!)

My oldest friend is Vicki. I've known her literally since she was born. (I was a mature 10 month old at the time.) I think we did everything together growing up. Until last year she always lived down the block from me. I was maid of honor at her wedding, and I am godmother to her son Jonathon. We used to work together. When my beloved grandmother died, she was the one who had me over to her house to have a little fun and forget about the pain for a while. She helped me through my breakup with my longtime boyfriend. Last summer she moved, and for the first time she wasn't three houses away. Distance doesn't matter, though. Vicki will always be my friend, no matter what life has in store for us.

Kim and I have been friends since we started high school. I consider her my wise friend. We know how to make each other laugh. We have had some crazy adventures together. We took our very first plane trip together, a trip to Disneyworld after our high school graduation. I still cherish those memories. Her children call me Aunt Bird, and I consider them to be part of my family. It was wonderful when she and my next door neighbor met, fell in love, and wound up marrying each other. The best part was that they continued to live next door until just a couple of years ago. With Kim I can totally be myself and not worry about what she thinks.

Another dear, longtime friend is Maureen. We met in high school, but we became really close when she opened her dance studio several years ago. She is one of my most thoughtful friends. She remembers everything even though she juggles an extremely busy schedule. She's also been a very good friend to my sister. When my sister broke her leg eight years ago, Maureen visited at least once a week. She always brought some kind of goodies--snacks, coloring books, puzzle books. She will make time for anyone who needs her, no matter what. We can be and have been very goofy together.

There are lots of other friends who mean so much to me. I wish there was enough room here to name them all. I still have friends from my school days. I may not see them on a regular basis, but I still call them my friends. I have made some wonderful friends at the school where I teach. I've also met some great girlfriends through dancing. All of my friends, old and new, have left an indelible mark on my heart. I will always treasure the special part you have played in my life.

=================================================================================================
Please feel free to leave comments after reading my posts. Do you like what I have to say? Do you wish I'd stop rambling so much? Let me know! :-)

No comments: