Thursday, July 21, 2005

If only I knew then what I know now...
Today I was at the mall pursuing one of my favorite pastimes--shopping! Shopping has become more fun over the last few months. In the last 18 months I have lost over 25 pounds on Weight Watchers, and I still have at least 15 more to go. Since I've lost the weight, I now get to shop at some of the "younger" stores at the mall. As I was surrounded by teenagers in Forever 21, an interesting thought occurred to me. Would I want to be a teenager again?

Surprisingly, the answer is no. My teenage years were fabulous, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. The truth is I like being 35. Do I like the gray hairs? Heck, no! There's so much more to being mature than gray hair, lots of good things. First of all, I am much more self-confident than I was in my teens and twenties. I feel like a woman who can do anything she puts her mind to. I have a better sense of style, but more importantly, I have a better sense of self. I feel free to make mistakes and act silly. I also feel free to take chances and enjoy life. I feel younger now than I did at 25. Back then I was worried about the future. Now I live for the present. Don't get me wrong, I do think about what's to come down the road. I just don't take little things for granted anymore. I enjoy life. I feel like I have a purpose. I don't have everything I hoped I would have at this age, but I am happy with the hand I've been dealt. Life is definitely good.

No comments: