Tuesday, July 26, 2005

What Goes up Must Come Down
No, I'm not talking about the law of gravity here. Tonight I attended my weekly Weight Watchers meeting. I've been on this weight loss journey for a year and a half now. Yes, I've had my ups and downs, but happily the downs are winning!

I wasn't a very happy camper when I joined WW. I was at the highest weight of my life, and my self-esteem was in the toilet. Sure, I had a job I loved, family who cared for me, good friends, and of course my faith, but I wasn't happy with myself. I knew losing weight wasn't the only answer for me, but it was a great place to start. And believe me, as the pounds came off, my self-esteem came up. Now I realize that losing weight isn't what makes me a better person. It's the fact that I can do anything I set my mind to. This weight loss journey is something that I have control over. I may not be able to control other factors in my life, but I can control this. I am invincible. I can do anything. I am woman. (OK, sorry about the tangent.)

Of course this isn't the only great accomplishment in my life. I graduated from college with a 3.0 GPA. I changed careers and went back to school. I've survived unemployment. But this gives me such a feeling of control. I'm also much healthier. I'm also willing to try new things. Last year I danced on stage in a dance recital. It was an awesome feeling. I love to exercise, and I decided to share my passion for exercise with kids in my school's after-school program this past year. In the past I would have been embarrassed to get up in front of teenagers and work out, but I'm not anymore.

I don't like to pass on unsolicited advice, but I will today. Do what makes you happy. I have. :-)

No comments: